Based in Leadville, CO. the Rocky Mountain Program (RMP) Cook position supports the Colorado Outward Bound School mission to change lives through challenge and discovery by:
• Planning healthy and creative menus.
• Preparing and cooking food for students, staff and guests.
• Building a positive, welcoming community
• Delivering fiscally responsible options through planning, supply and equipment orders.
• Maintaining a clean, hygienic kitchen, storage, and dining area.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Plan, prep and cook practical, nutritious, delicious and balanced meals including breakfast, lunch and dinner for a variety of student populations, staff and up to 100 guests.
• Plan for and accommodate special diets and food preferences with reasonable and economic alternatives.
Food Inventory, Ordering and stocking
• Inventory food on a daily, weekly and monthly basis dependant on food type and upcoming kitchen needs.
• Create daily and bi-weekly food orders that support upcoming dining use, including quantities and special diets.
• Ensure food inventories stay within budgetary guidelines.
• Inventory and put away food deliveries when received.
• Submit all invoices and receipts to the APD-Logistics in a timely manner to ensure prompt payment to vendors.
Work Station Sanitation
• Maintain kitchen and dining area related cleanliness, sanitation and safety.
• Maintain clean stocks of kitchen aprons and rags.
• Perform job with high standard of personal hygiene (clean clothes, hair tied back etc)
• Weekly inventory and create order for kitchen and dining hall cleaning supplies.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities
• Other duties as assigned
• Supervise and collaborate with additional kitchen staff when necessary.
• Report maintenance issues to facilities department.
• Be part of community through attending team meetings, program functions as available.
Knowledge and Skills
• Customer-Service: Ensure a welcoming atmosphere our staff and students in the dining area.
• Attention to Detail: Be able to manage multiple elements inc. food standards, costs, safety.
• Organizational Skills: Ability to deal with costs, pricing, create work schedules, handle shipments, cleaning schedules.
• Problem-Solving Skills: Comfort handling unexpected issues, coming up with alternative solutions.
• Stamina: Ability to handle long days around hot cooking elements, much of it on your feet.
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for COBS Nonprofit’s mission.
Education and Work Experience
• 1-3 years of cooking experience.
• Experience with menu and meal planning and food ordering.
• Knowledge of cooking for large groups, safe food handling techniques, kitchen and food sanitation systems, nutrition and special diets.
• Food Safe/Safe Serve certifications preferred.
• Lifting 50lbs, sitting, squatting, reaching and bending at a moderate level.
• Ability to work on your feet for extended periods of time.
• Tolerance of long days.
Compensation and Benefits
Summer position May-August with potential to become an 8 month, benefit eligible position. Pay is based on experience starting at $12-$13.50 per hour. Housing and meals will be provided.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Cathy Fornaris @ firstname.lastname@example.org. Application open until filled.